Housing here in this new home

Life here in Karamoja is just different than life in America as you might expect. The other missionaries and I live a very comfortable life style, but there are still changes, challenges and new things to learn about life here vs. life at home.

I am living in a bonda which is basically a big round hut with a thatched roof. I have three windows, one door, two bunk beds, one wardrobe, one bookshelf, one desk and one papason chair. It is very nice, and actually one of the coolest (temperature wise) places on the compound. It is typically between 75 an 80 degrees Fahrenheit inside my house. The outdoor temperature has been between 85 and 90 I think. I haven’t checked really checked. Part of bonda living also includes outdoor facilities. I am not the biggest fan of the pit toilet and outdoor water spout, but I will learn to be in time. I am glad I get a shower house with running water! I do not have my own kitchen, but there is a kitchen in the main house that I can share with any visitors or other singles who are here on the compound. So far I have just been enjoying the company of others and eating their good food J Soon I will have to pitch in, but it is nice to have a bit of time to enjoy fellowship and not have to worry about what to have to eat.

I really don’t have to worry much about adjusting to “my new home” for long because I begin house sitting for one of the missionaries tomorrow for the next three months. They are heading home for a time of rest, relaxation, and fund raising. I will have a nice big house with indoor plumbing all to myself. I will be very spoiled by time they come back J It is a good thing “my bonda” is cooler than their house, or else they might find me living on their couch when they arrive home.

1 comments:

Monica 10:51 PM  

Sounds like a great arrangement. I'm glad you will be comfortable. Keep us updated and we're keeping you in our thoughts and prayer. Love to you.

About Me

My name is Jenny. I am a sinner that has been redeemed by the blood of Christ, and I want to share the grace and love He has shown me with others. I am a nurse living and working in Uganda, and I am praying that God would make Matthew 5:16 true of my life.
"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."
Enjoy snippets from my journey as I step out in faith day after day.